Inetd.c sigpause() --> __xpg_sigpause() not in uClibc

John Z. Bohach jzb at aexorsyst.com
Thu Nov 10 05:36:37 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 09 November 2005 21:08, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 November 2005 21:50, John Z. Bohach wrote:
> > Having said all this, there are two paths:  either the new port of BSD
> > inetd.c is validated to ensure it #define's the proper flags for itself
> > (to compile to BSD semantics), or the file is reverted and whatever fixes
> > are needed are done to the original file.
>
> I still haven't gotten an explanation of why this file ever got verted in
> the first place.
>
> > As for the patch I'm working on, it will take care of the sigpause()
> > issue and ensure that BSD semantics are used for the __sigpause()
> > version, but I
>
> By switching from one deprecated API to another?  My enthusiasm for this
> approach is underwhelming. :)
>
> Rob

I'm with you Rob...my patch would address the BSD vs. X/Open semantics, but
its still deprecated.  So this again highlights the real problem:
non-deprecated sigsuspend() was replaced with deprecated sigpause() (and
lot's of other changes as Rob has pointed out), and there was no proper BSD
vs. X/Open semantics usage considerations.

In my opinion--and I mean no disrespect to the developers who made the
slackware changes and patches since--revert the whole thing, add the two-line
fix that Rob has alluded to before, and take the slackware porting off and
put it on a branch until people can work out these issues, because at this
point, the slackware inetd.c doesn't appear ready for public consumption in
this busybox environment.

--john

--
     ###  Any similarity between my views and the truth is completely ###
     ###  coincidental, except that they are endorsed by NO ONE       ###