[gmail] Do we want ifenslave?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Nov 5 23:19:20 UTC 2005

On Saturday 05 November 2005 01:42, Marc Leeman wrote:
> > If it's started providing failover or something since last I checked,
> > that's one thing.  But I'm unaware of it if so.  Unplugging a cable used
> > to mean you lost every second packet, which wasn't much fun...
>
> Ifenslave is very handy to provide a fallback/redundant network.
>
> Recently I've come accross very buggy switches that managed to crash the
> MAC. Instructing support to switch to the other rj45 let the embedded
> system (streaming video) work again and showed that the embedded system
> itself did not go down.
>
> For high availability, the LAN (switches) is doubled.

Ok, I'm convinced.  But please:

A) Take another whack at busyboxification (I commented in the bug a few
low-hanging fruit).

B) Post a patch to the list that you want me to look at applying.  There are
four different patches attached to the bug (one of which claims to compile to
just 7k, which sounds reasonable), but it would be easier for me if I had
just one patch to look at, and as long as you've got my attention this would
be the place to post it. :)