It's not a bug.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Nov 4 13:53:09 UTC 2005

On Thursday 03 November 2005 21:59, Bertrand Mollinier Toublet wrote:
> Rob Landley wrote:
> > There are several "bugs" in the bug system that aren't bugs.  Will tar
> > add support for Sun's "pax" format?  Will we someday add an option to
> > fsync() before we close() to make sure the data from things like cat was
> > actually accepted by something and not just successfully fed into a pipe
> > or the page cache (at the expense of a significant performance hit)?
> >
> > People enter these things as bugs.  And they're not bugs.  I'm trying to
> > close the bugs...
>
> Things can be different for the Busybox project, but it is not uncommon
> to file feature requests as bugs... In Bugzilla (at least version 2.6
> which I use at work), there is even a severity status named
> 'enhancement' to be used just for that.

I don't mind them being in the bug system if we have a way of marking it as
"not a bug", and sorting them so they don't show up when I try to list bugs.

Perhaps there's a way to do that.  I'm no expert on our bug system.  I'm
pondering removing them from the bug system and adding them to our TODO file,
but presence in the TODO file implies "this is a good idea" and I'm not quite
sure we _want_ to do all these things.  (Not sure we don't either.  Perhaps
the todo file should have an "somebody figure out if this is a good idea"
section.)

What _is_ pax support?  I found something on the file format, but not why.
Seems to be sun specific...