[BusyBox] The "patches" directory.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue May 10 01:00:08 UTC 2005

On Sunday 08 May 2005 10:19 pm, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Sunday 08 May 2005 08:25 pm, Rob Landley wrote:
> > So the busybox source code has a subdirectory full of patches, at least
> > some of which were intended to be merged after 1.0.  It's after 1.0.  I
> > was thinking of merging a few of these.  (ed, eject, and cmp_n come to
> > mind...)
>
> ed i wrote recently ... i didnt so much write it as just rip it from sash
> ... i didnt try to shrink it too much

*shrug*.  I don't use ed.  Until I saw the patch in there, I thought the only
guy who did was Alan Cox. :)

I'm pondering doing an SuSv3 compliance audit on sed, and if we start tracking
that sort of thing we could track "we see opportunities for shrinking here"
status of the applets too.  A nice big table on the busybox web page,
preferably dynamically generated from source code markup and such.

Oh, and I've built a couple dozen of the busybox apps as standalone command
line utilities, but getting the make file to do this is beyond my make-fu
(which ain't much).  If I post a fresh a batch file that does the build
magic, would anybody else be interested in tweaking up a "make standalone" or
CONFIG_STANDALONE or some such?  (Can't say I really care which.  Either way,
it would probably be a good idea to start dropping the executables in a
subdirectory becaue there could be a LOT of them...)

> eject ive looked over and it could use some love before merging
> -mike

I only glanced at eject, but it seemed decent enough.  What did you have in
mind?