[BusyBox] crond

Buttchereit, Axel (XL) XL at XLsigned.net
Sat Mar 26 16:33:46 UTC 2005

Hinko Kocevar wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Is it possible to run busybox cron jobs every 5 seconds? Or is one
> minute the lowest value possible. In latter case could you recomend
> sometning else?

Maybe the name "BusyBox" is somewhat misleading...
It's no about keeping the box busy. :-)

Assuming that you are "polling" the state of a(n) (external) resource
and want to update another (local) resource in case of a change.
Right?

(Almost) Everything on unix is a file and you might be happy to hear
that BLOCKING I/O is unix's default behavior for handling files,
especially in case of fifos, pipes, sockets, ...
Furthermore there is the "select/poll" system call and there are signals
and timers, ...

No reason to "poll" in a user space prog.

Cheers,
Axel

P.S .: "UNIX Network Programming" by "W. Richard Stevens"