[BusyBox] LSB compliant sysvinit applet.

Paul Fox pgf at brightstareng.com
Fri Mar 4 18:40:33 UTC 2005

 > >  > Did you try daemontools? In my experience, they are easier to use
 > >  > and have nice, simple and consistent interface.
 > >
 > > and if you're put off (as i am) by the concept of needing a new
 > > process to monitor every daemon process on your system, you
 > > should also look at minit.  we're using that now, and it's quite
 > > nice.
 >
 > Note that the memory consumed by those monitor processes is
 > tiny.  You're used to processes that are bloated with a gazillion
 > shared libraries -- which these are not.

yes, i understand that.  and i know that bernstein's code is very
tight -- i've been using qmail and djbdns for many years, the
latter of which using daemontools.

it's not VM usage that puts me off -- it's strictly the emotional
baggage of doing (or just imagining :-) a ps and seeing all those
extra processes.  i just prefer the "single parent" visualization.
i don't think minit is technically superior to daemontools (or
runit) -- it's at most equal to them.

 > minit, dameontools, runit (which I use) and more stuff of this

yes -- i meant to mention runit as well.  daemontools for those
that can't stand dan.  :-)

paul
 paul fox, pgf at brightstareng.com