[BusyBox] /var/log/messages generation

Glenn McGrath bug1 at iinet.net.au
Wed Jan 12 02:20:23 UTC 2005

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 01:52:13 +0000 (GMT)
rasta rasta <rastamadafafa_mail at yahoo.com> wrote:

> hi guys! we need help with our small task. we're
> trying to limit the size of the /var/log/messages.X
> file to about 8kb. if the file size reaches 8kb the
> system would then create another messages.X file.
> Everytime the system creates the messages file, the
> system would increment X by 1. the sysetm will do this
> until there are 5 messages files. the system will then
> delete all messages.X files and start a new messages.X
> file.  We're using BusyBox v1.00-pre8 on a montavista
> linux 2.4.18_mvl30-pc_target #29, AMD geode gx2 processor.

Sounds like you need debians logrotate command, im not sure what
language its written in, so it mag not be suitable.

Not sure of any alternatives. you could consider using a circular buffer
(i havent used it myself), but then the old messages will be lost.

Glenn