[BusyBox] Bug in busybox inetd

Ritesh Banerjee riteshban at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 6 21:47:08 MST 2005

Hi
   I was testing busybox inetd with telnetd, ftpd etc
and found a perplexing bug.

   In the inetd.conf file, if I specify
"/usr/sbin/telnetd"  where it's a symlink to
"/bin/busybox", inetd is not able to allow telnet to
work. It listens on port 23 and when I use a client to
telnet into the machine, it forks itself and tries to
execv() but exits /fails before/after execv (if I put
some syslogs in the code, it reaches execv, otherwise
exits before that).

  If in the inetd.conf file, I specify "/bin/busybox
telnetd", then telnet works fine !!

  Now, if I use a symlink-ed executable that is not
part of busybox (I made /tmp/ftpd ->
/usr/sbin/telnetd), and I specify the symlink in inetd
(/tmp/ftpd in the example), this works fine !!!

symlink-ed executable that is an applet in busybox!

  Has someone faced this problem before ? Any clues ?

Regards
Ritesh