[BusyBox] udhcpd dns update?

Jeff Sadowski jeff_sadowski at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 14 18:53:48 UTC 2005

I was looking at the code and was thinking of
modifying it to do dns updates for me with djbdns.
Question in function sendOffer() the "oldpacket"
dhcpMessage structure has the name of the computer
getting the dhcp address in the sname[] variable
right? There isn't an option to get udhcpd to update
dns is there?

I really like that udhcpd's lease file does not grow
indefinitely like dhcpd's lease file and that you use
the program dumpleases to get the leases this makes a
lot of sense. I was thinking of doing a database
method and it looks like thats pretty much what you
did with your dhcp leases file. I was thinking the
only data needed in the database would be the time
stamp(int) and mac address(stored as int) and that the
key would be the ipaddress(as an int) offset by the
base address. I'd have to analize your code more to
see how you did it but im guessing you did something
like that.

Anyways maybe there ought to be the options for dns
updating. like 2 options in the config file that would
be run when an address is leased and when the lease
expires both could be give the arguments %ip and %name
or something like that so that you could update a dns
with udhcpd. So like in the config file you'd have

dns_add command_to_add_dns %ip %name

or

dns_add command_to_add_dns %name %ip

if the command takes options like that
and simmilarly with something like
dns_remove

or maybe an integrated dns within udhcp and store
machine names in the leases file.