Cannot reboot from busybox

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Dec 23 08:01:26 UTC 2005

On Thursday 22 December 2005 23:57, IraqiGeek wrote:

> I named the file testprog.c, compiled like this:
>
> cc -c testprog.c

Just go "gcc testprog.c" and it'll create a file called "a.out" (or feed it
"-o testprog" to have that file be called testprog instead).

I just compiled it and it compiled for me.

> I got testprog.o, but when I try to link:
>
> ld testprog.o
>
> I get the following:
>
> ld: warning: cannot find entry _start; defaulting to 08048094
> testprog.o(.text+0x24): In function 'main'
> testprog.c: undefined reference to 'reboot'

It's not finding the c library, because you're compiling it wrong.  If you
explicitly tell it to break up the linking phase, you have to explicitly tell
it to link with libc.

Have you ever compiled a c program before?