[buildroot] $(STRIP) --strip-unneeded on a SHARED library...WHY?

Robin Farine robin.farine at terminus.org
Tue Dec 6 19:29:29 UTC 2005

On Tuesday December 6 2005 19:48, John Z. Bohach wrote:

> I guess its possible that somehow the --strip-unneeded option to
> strip is broken under buildroot, but it doesn't seem likely.  I
> run:
>
>  $ nm libdb-4.3.so
>
> and get:
>
> nm: libdb-4.3.so: no symbols

What matters for linking against an ELF shared library are the
".dynsym" and ".dynstr" sections which are *not* stripped, whatever
the option strip is passed, or it means that there is a huge bug in
your binutils. Use "nm -D libdb-4.3.so" instead.

> after its been '--strip-unneeded'-ed.  Seems like the right root
> cause, unless 'strip' is broken?!

Are you sure you are not linking against a stripped archive library?
Plain object files would suffer from 'strip --strip-unneeded'.

Robin