[BusyBox] using dpkg with busybox

Gerrit Van de Velde gerrit.vandevelde at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 15:55:46 UTC 2004

Hi there,

I was struggling to cross compile OpenSSH for my ARM target until I
realized that busybox has a dpkg implementation, so I built busybox
(v1.00) with support for dpkg and got the ssh package from debian.

But when i do "dpkg -i ssh_package", it comes up with:
"dpkg: Package ssh depends on libc6, which is not installed or flagged..."

I couldn't quite find out where to flag it as installed so, desperate
as I was, I tried to dpgk libc6 and got this:

"Unpacking libc6 (from libc6_2.2.5-11.5_arm.deb) ...
sh: /var/lib/dpkg/info/libc6.preinst: not found
dpkg: subprocess pre-installation script returned error."

which is caused by this line (if i remove it, i can execute the
preinst script..)
"dpkg --assert-support-predepends".

Obviously, a lot of things go wrong here.. Maybe I'm missing something
vital, so any suggestions or directions can help.

Kind regards,
Gerrit VdV