[BusyBox] can init and minit co-exist?

Peter Willis psyphreak at phreaker.net
Fri Mar 19 14:13:04 UTC 2004

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 06:55:09 -0500 (EST)
"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at mindspring.com> wrote:

>   based on the "make menuconfig", it seems that there's no way for init
> and minit to co-exist.  so is there no way to have both as a boot-time
> option, and type something like "init=/sbin/minit" or something like
> that?
>
>   that would be handy in case i totally screw up the minit setup, and
> want to back off to regular init and my /etc/inittab file.  is there
> any way to do this?

sure. first make sure a shell is included in busybox. then write a small
script that tests for an environment variable, and depending on its value
run one of two applications. the first could be the path to busybox's init,
and the second could be the path to minit (renamed to "minit" instead of
"init" - if necessary). then put the script in /sbin/ and in your
bootloader pass the kernel parameter "init=/sbin/really_cool_script". or
instead of an environment variable just run busybox init after minit or
something.

--

'Twas midnight, and the UNIX hacks
Did gyre and gimble in their cave

"Beware the software rot, my son!
The faults that bite, the jobs that thrash!
Beware the broken pipe, and shun
The frumious system crash!"