[BusyBox] A few Problems 1.00-pre5

Marc Karasek marc_karasek at ivivity.com
Tue Jan 20 17:49:27 UTC 2004

It has been awhile since I picked up BB and used it.  We are going to be
using it in a ramdisk for an embedded product.

I have come across two issues:

1) Setting up SUID for su.  I configured busybox.conf and tried to do a
su from a user login and got the message:
"BusyBox binary has insufficient rights to set proper GID for applet!"

I tried changing busybox to 6755 and this did not help.

2) Using inetd  for telnetd.  When I start the inetd service it prints a
message to /var/log/messages:
daemon.err inetd[79]: telnet/tcp: unknown service

I checked the inetd.conf file as well as the services and protocol files
in /etc and they all look ok.

3) In trying to use shadow passwords, it does not seem to work
properly.  The password would be set in the shadow file and in the
passwd and group files the password field would be x.  But you could not
login. I went back to just using passwd & group files.  This is Ok.
Small bug is that if busybox finds a shadow file even if support is not
compiled in, it will not work properly.

I am going to try to look into these items, and would appreciate any
pointers.....

--
Marc Karasek