[BusyBox] Scriptable telnet?

Paul Fox pgf at brightstareng.com
Mon Jan 12 13:18:24 UTC 2004

 > > If I want to connect to a telnet server, I do have to negotiate with it.
 > > I didn't really succeed in it... I tried
 > > "echo -en 'ls\r\0' | nc <host> <port>" and many similar commands, with
 > > busybox and inetutils telnet servers. With bb telnetd, sometimes the
 > > output of the command came back, sometimes didn't, it was very rhapsodic,
 > > I don't know what it depended on.
 >
 > It's a race condition depending on whether or not EOF from stdin and the
 > resulting close of the network conection was registered before the result
 > came back from the far end.  When it works, the sequence is:

i seem to recall solving a similar problem with something that looked
a lot like:
  (echo -en 'ls\r\0'; sleep 2) | nc <host> <port>
or somesuch.  cheap, dirty, and not guaranteed to work.  but it can
get you where you need to be when all you have are stock binaries.
e.g., on my current development machine this works:
  echo 'GET /index.html'| nc www 80
but this doesn't:
  echo 'GET /index.html' | telnet www 80
and this fixes it:
  (echo 'GET /index.html'; sleep 2) | nc www 80

paul
 paul fox, pgf at brightstareng.com