[BusyBox] Anyone using gcc-3.3.* on ARM w/ dynamic linking?

Manousaridis Angelos amanous at inaccessnetworks.com
Mon Apr 26 10:00:36 UTC 2004

Patrick Huesmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Busybox doesn't start on my system when it's dynamically linked and compiled
> with arm-linux-gcc-3.3.2 cross compiler.
> The last message I see is "Freeing init memory: 68K"
> I think this is a kernel message and it's displayed before init is started.
>
> Everything is alright when I
> - compile BusyBox with gcc-2.95.3 and use dynamic or static linking
> - compile BusyBox with gcc-3.3.2 and use static linking
>
> The /lib/* and ld.so.cache on my target system should be OK, because when I
> run a "hello world" compiled with 3.3.2, there is no problem with shared
> libraries.
>
> I'm using the arm-linux-3.3.2 toolchain from handhelds.org. The versions
> are:
> gcc 3.3.2
> glibc 2.3.2
> binutils 2.14.90
>
> The kernel that I'm using is based on 2.6.5 with some minor changes
> (upgraded to current MTD cvs, and added PCMCIA support for custom board)
>
> Are there any known bugs or patches that have to be applied to make this
> setup work?
> Maybe someone can point me to a working arm-linux-gcc-3.3.* toolchain?

I have successfully used both shared and static linking with busybox
pre10 with the following combination:

- glibc with the patches from netwinder. Somewhere inside
   ftp://ftp.netwinder.org there is a source rpm. If you install it, a
   glibc and a couple of patches will be installed.
- binutils 2.14
- gcc 3.3.2

The resulting toolchain seems to be very stable with ARM. I have
compiled everything except the kernel and modules, which still require
2.95.3. Surprisingly, you can even mix binaries from this toolchain with
binaries from older toolchains without a problem!

--
Manousaridis Angelos