[BusyBox] Issue with strings (1.00-pre10)

Ian Latter Ian.Latter at mq.edu.au
Wed Apr 14 14:29:11 UTC 2004

> So it seems to me that there must be something wrong on your system.

.. which is where I was headed in my thinking, until I found that
uncommenting one line of code that someone else had already
written, fixed it (see the patch in the message after the one your
replied to)

As I said - I didn't see the error with the same binary on RH9 - so I
would tend to agree that its my problem, but I don't see how (libc
version maybe?).

The error happens right on the buffer edge (4 bytes) .. looks like an
overflow that gets corrected on the next buffer fill ... why its
always $yen@ is beyond me (it should be different between boots
-- unless its filled with Busybox code).

The xmalloc in the line above looks sus (n+1) ... gives the
impression that the author's had this problem before.  Maybe a
quick memset(string, 0, n) would be better ...

--
Ian Latter
Internet and Networking Security Officer