[BusyBox] More wandering through busybox sed source...

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Sep 14 02:24:02 UTC 2003

On Saturday 13 September 2003 22:13, Rob Landley wrote:

> Can you just run together commands otherwise?  (Who wrote this spec?)
>
> > Command verbs other than {, a, b, c, i, r, t, w, :, and # can be followed
> > by a semicolon, optional <blank>s, and another command verb. However,
> > when the s command verb is used with the w flag, following it with
> > another command in this manner produces undefined results.
>
> Okay, so when you do NOT use the w flag, then a space (or basically
> anything else you don't recognize) should mark the start of a new command.
> That positively sucks, and gnu gets it wrong.  It means that adding flags
> in future could break existing scripts, although I guess that's what the
> semicolon is for...

Duh, too many hours staring at the code, time for a break.  (How did it get to
be 9:30 at night already?)

The semicolon is required, the blanks are optional.  So gnu is getting it
right, and we are getting it wrong.  The two are NOT equivalent, the one with
the semicolon is correct and the other one is nonsense.

I'm going to go away from the computer for many hours now.  See you tomorrow.
:)