[BusyBox] Sed and vi.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Oct 10 09:10:56 UTC 2003

In message <200310100005.16180.rob at landley.net> you wrote:
> You can enter sed commands at the colon prompt of vi.  For example, colon

This is wrong.

At the colon prompt of vi you can enter ex/vi commands. These may  be
similar to some sed commands, but in general they are not.

> Not that i have a shortage of to-do items, but might it be a good idea someday
> to merge busybox vi and busybox sed somewhat, to cut down on duplication and
> add functionality?

There are many things in sed that are  not  available  or  completely
different  in  vi:  {  }  blocks,  : labels, =; other commands behave
differently: a, i, b, t, c, g/G, h/H, n/N, y.

I don't see much potential to merge these  tools  while  keeping  the
standard interface working.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Eeeek!
'eval' on strings should have been named 'evil'.    -- Tom Phoenix in
        <Pine.GSO.3.96.980526121813.27437N-100000 at user2.teleport.com>