[BusyBox] Memory leak ?

Robin Gilks robin.gilks at tait.co.nz
Wed Oct 1 10:40:47 MDT 2003

Greetings

Am I being dumb or am I seeing a memory leak...

Running busybox 1.00-pre3 statically compiled against uclibc-0.9.20
using gcc-3.3.1 on a powerpc 8xx. Kernel is generic 2.4.21 with SCC uart
mods from the Denx tree.

For any application that is run, 4k disappears from the Free pool but
doesn't appear anywhere else. Occationally, it will spontainiously
reboot with it killing init due to a lack of memory.

I'm also seeing strange corruption (related? don't know!!). I start with
a command output like...

/ # free
               total         used         free       shared      buffers
   Mem:         6756         5464         1292            0           68
  Swap:            0            0            0
Total:         6756         5464         1292

and end up with a mode that jumbles stuff about like...

/ # re/ # f
                          total         usede
          free       shared      buffers     68  Mem:         6756
    5596         1160            0       Swap:            0            0

Total:         6756         5596           0
/ #          1160

Weird or what :-((

Any pointers to expected behaviours would be of great help, where to
start debugging to see if the leak is real would also move the project
along nicely!!

Cheers

--
Robin Gilks
Senior Design Engineer          Phone: (+64)(3) 357 1569
PO Box 1645 Christchurch        Email : robin.gilks at tait.co.nz
New Zealand