[BusyBox] Live updating busybox?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Nov 17 21:39:41 UTC 2003

On Monday 17 November 2003 12:26, Jean-Christophe Dubois wrote:
> I guess a reboot will be required anyway if you are using "init" from
> busybox as, if I am not mistaken, there is no way (that I know of) to
> really get rid of this running "root" process without rebooting your
> box.

If init's programmed to exec stuff...

I did a setup where init was a shell script that juggled a mount point ("mount
--bind /initrd/var /var" so the config info for what partition that was
didn't have to live in two places, and this had to happen before init ran
because /etc was a sumlink to /var/etc...), then execed the real init (so it
inherited pid 1).  Seemed to survive just fine with sysvinit.

So you could always hack init to exec another init.  The security implications
of this are HORRIBLE though, and you're safer rebooting in a number of
ways...