[BusyBox] Live updating busybox?

Steven Scholz steven.scholz at imc-berlin.de
Mon Nov 17 13:48:12 UTC 2003

Hi there,

I am using busybox in embedded systems and want to update it.

I understand the just overwriting the busybox binary could cause some trouble.

One suggestion I got was to store the new version of busybox in let's say
/bin/busybox.new and then "mv /bin/busybox.new /bin/busybox" where "mv" must not
be the busybox applet but a standalone binary.

So I have a few more questions:

1.) If I do the copy and move in a shell script, then this script would be
     executed by (the old version of) busybox ash. But what happends when I
     replace the busybox binary which is actually just executing  the shell
     script?

2.) Should I kill busybox inetd, httpd, telnetd etc before updating busybox?

3.) When updating busybox, is it better to have soft- or hardlinks to
     /bin/busybox for all the applications?

Thanks a million!

Steven