[BusyBox] Ahem: Bwahahahahahahahaha!

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Nov 11 10:43:08 UTC 2003

Here's the bzip compression side source code, bzipped with itself. :)

Do not expose to direct sunlight.  Caution, severe tire damage.  Offer not
applicable during total eclipse of the sun.  Void where prohibited by large
men with sharp knives.  You with your own copy of the board game "Risk".

It worked for me.  Anybody trusting their data to this thing just yet is an
even bigger fool than I am, and I've got the cap with bells on and
everything.  (Well I used to write for The Motley...  nevermind.)

There are 8 gazillion badly commented out printfs in this thing, all of which
can be removed because they're debug stuff.  I'm still debugging.  The
huffman coding tables I'm generating work, but apparently aren't quite
optimal (the bzip archives this creates are about 0.01% bigger than jseward's
verion, I could just parrot his code but I want to understand WHY, and
comment it).

After a refractory period, I'll clean up crap.c (the block sorting code, which
is currently copied verbatim from the original, asserts and all).

It compiles to 13392 bytes, -Os and stripped.  And over 6k of that is the
block sorting code, so there's still plenty of room to shrink...

The first half of the cleanup has been done (modulo some mopping up like
removing the "//fprintf(stderr,blah);" lines).  On to phase 2...

I'll stop now.