[BusyBox] Problem running shared lib executables with BB

Owens, Steve Steve.Owens at usa.xerox.com
Fri Mar 7 07:08:04 UTC 2003

Ok, I know this is something I'm doing wrong, but as of today I'm stumped.

We're trying to use busybox in a net-booted, RAM-based installation image.
Busybox is statically linked so that we could remove the shared libraries
from the net-booted image itself (thus considerably reducing the size).
However, we're using grub as our boot loader, and I'm trying to use the one
on disk (after we've installed the image) which is built with shared library
support. I've set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to all the shared library
directories on the disk, and I've updated PATH to include all the bin
directories on the disk. Yet, whenever I try to run grub, I keep getting a
"file or directory doesn't exist" error. Running a statically linked
executable (such as ldconfig) works fine.

I'm using busybox 0.61 from Weds, but the version doesn't matter as I've
also tried the stable 0.60.5 version. This is an intel/Linux system.

TIA for any help.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no
other way.
-- Mark Twain