[BusyBox] Documentation...

tom at ceisystems.com tom at ceisystems.com
Thu Jun 5 17:47:51 UTC 2003

Hello all,

	First off, I apologize in advance for cross-posting.  I usually
wouldn't do it, but this particular topic is valid for both uClibc and
Busybox.  That said, let's move onward.

	As Busybox and uClibc have matured over the past few years that
I have personally been using them, the questions posted to the mailing
list(s) have become less technical and much more user-centric.  In fact,
I have noticed that many of the developers that used to be on the list
have stopped posting altogether.  That's a good sign.

	My rhetorical question is this.  Would it be wise, at this
point, to document the features, options, switches, and other such
jiggery-pokery?  My gut feeling tells me that Busybox has reached a
level of maturity such that fewer and fewer "new" applets will be added.
This, too, is a good thing.  Additionally, uClibc seems to be at less of
a "in heavy development" phase and more of a "cleanup, optimize, and
hunt for issues" phase.

	I, personally, would not really need this documentation, but I
do know that it would help the newcomers in their efforts.  I would also
offer my time to do any documentation I could, but as things stand right
now I am working 2 full time jobs, developing projects, and starting a
new business.  The short of it is that I have very little "free" time.
Whatever "free" time I do have, I would gladly allocate some of to this
effort, but certainly not enough to be a major contributor.

	Anyway, I just thought I would throw this question out there,
and see what gets stirred up.  Let me know what you all think.  Also, if
you have done any documentation regarding Busybox and/or uClibc, I would
encourage you to submit it.  This includes any "help" for the menuconfig
system, or general feature documentation.

Thanks all,
Thomas Cameron
CEI Systems, Inc.