[BusyBox] Re: httpd applet patches

Vladimir N. Oleynik dzo at simtreas.ru
Sun Jan 12 03:42:03 MST 2003

Glenn,

> >> Your URL mods may have to go or be tweaked as you cannot assume the
> >> first letter will always be a slash or that a slash is even present,
> >> causing your strrchr search to return null followed by bus error.
> >
> > I can`t reproduce this. You have realy test?
>
> This might be all right as I didn't catch the explicit check for leading
> '/' my first scan thru.
>
> After a quick look though I have several other concerns:
>
> It no longer compiles with -DHTTPD_STANDALONE.  My goal is to not make
> this dependant on busybox but a generic server that works without busybox.

Why?
Quoting from my patch:

+/* require libbb.a for linking now */

I think, busybox applet must use libbb strongly, else is not busybox applet. ;)

> There are numerous -Wall messages now in the code.

I have very old compiler :(
I don`t see this problem for me :(

> The -e changes are not appropriate at all.  The -d option decodes a
> url-encoded string while the -e option encodes an html escaped string.  It
> is important to note that browers dont know what do do with url-encoding
> withing html and will render strings with your changes incorrectly.  The
> point of -e is to allow scripts to encode strings that get stuck back into
> html forms and thus the original encode routine is necessary.

May be. I don`t know all HTTP problems.

> The bss and data segments have grown considerably.  Ideally these should
> be 0 to avoid excessive memory requirements when the applet is not in use.

We discussed one year ago it long.
I have convinced by means of tests, that the size of a bss
segment wags only on necessity of presence of
memory, but after start this size is not taken into
account will not be used yet, and only current applet.
You offer to use dynamic memory?
But you only will lose, the size of a code will increase.
I do not want to renew dispute.

>  The text segment has also grown 8%.

Yes. We can remove any mime types. I have small cryptic optimize
for sighup_hander, but its bad for demostrate ideas to first see.
All my changes to your code only generate smallest always!
Its my "idea fix".
But I added features - this require size!

--w
vodz