[BusyBox] followup on mount oddity from my previous email

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 11 12:59:02 UTC 2003

  in my recent posting, i mentioned that, after doing a total upgrade to
busybox-1.00-pre4, i began getting the following snippet during the boot
phase on a PPC-based evaluation board:
VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem) readonly.
Mounted devfs on /dev
init started:  BusyBox v1.00-pre4 (2003.12.11-09:03+0000) multi-cRemounting the.
mount: Mounting /dev/root on / failed: No such file or directory
rm: unable to remove `/etc/mtab': Read-only file system
ln: /etc/mtab: File exists
Mounting local file systems...
Initializing random number generator... rm: unable to remove `/var/run/random-sm
urandom start: failed.
done.
 even though, after this, the system comes up and seems to run fine.
in trying to isolate the source of those mount errors, i noticed one
difference between the old root filesystem and the new one.

  in the pre-rolled filesystem i had been using, there was no busybox
link for the "mount" command.  rather, there was a real executable
/sbin/mount (perhaps "mount" hadn't been built into busybox-0.60.3
in that earlier root filesystem).

  i configured "mount" into my build of BB-1.00.-pre4 but didn't create the
link /bin/mount for it yet.  so a previously successful boot still obviously
used /sbin/mount and everything worked under 1.00-pre4.

  i made the single change to delete the executable /sbin/mount and replace
it with /sbin/mount -> ../bin/busybox, and that's when i started to get the
mount errors above.

  using /bin/mount -> busybox instead of /sbin/mount -> ../bin/busybox
gives me the same mount errors at boot time.

  any hints?  am i missing something obvious?  i'm not sure why replacing
a real mount executable to a link to a mount-enabled busybox would start
causing these errors.

rday