[BusyBox] Re: syslogd bug

Troy Cauble troy at bell-labs.com
Mon Aug 25 22:47:37 UTC 2003

Gyepi SAM <gyepi at praxis-sw.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 11:26:13AM -0400, Troy Cauble wrote:
>
>>When logging remotely (-R loghost) to a Sun, if the remote syslogd
>>is shut down for any reason, busybox syslogd exits with a message:
>>
>>	syslogd: syslogd: cannot write to remote file handle onbeavis:514
>

> What version of busybox are you using? That error message was removed quite some time ago.

The busybox.stable tree still has this.

What are people's current thoughts on busybox.stable vs. the 1.0 pre-release tree?

>>This is because of the use of connect() and writev().  When an ICMP
>>unreachable message is returned, writev() returns -1 and errno
>>ECONNREFUSED, and the applet exits.
>>
>>I believe this could be fixed by checking for ECONNREFUSED or by not using
>>connect().
>

> The current CVS version of busybox simply skips the log for most
> write errors except EINTR so that takes care of ECONNREFUSED.
>
> connect (2) for UDP only sets up an association, but does not
> actually send packets. I chose it so that any local errors that could
> prevent the actual sending of packets would show up ealier rather than
> later and still think that is a good reason to keep it.

Understood.  I only mentioned connect() because I believe if you use
an unconnected UDP style (sendto() instead of connect() + writev()),
the ECONNREFUSED errno is not seen.  But skipping the log for that
case is just as good.

Thanks,
-troy