[BusyBox] udhcpc and ARP?

tom at ceisystems.com tom at ceisystems.com
Wed Aug 13 06:39:48 UTC 2003

Hello all,

Well, when reading the DHCP RFCs, they are explicit about the definition
of the word SHOULD.  In fact, they state:

	"...there may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances to
	 ignore this item, but the full implications should be
understood
	 and the case carefully weighed before choosing a different
course"

So, my question is this.  What, exactly, are we gaining by -_not_ arping
for the assigned values?  What case has been made for the exclusion of
this feature, and what were the the cases being made for it's inclusion?
Personally, I don't think code _size_ would be prohibitive, and an ARP
generating function seems fairly straight-forward, as we have the exact
values we are looking for on the network.

Thomas Cameron
CEI Systems