[BusyBox] tar problem

Thomas Eckert tom at subbi.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Sep 6 02:44:03 UTC 2002

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Brad Campbell wrote:

> After a frustrating night trying to use busybox to clone a laptop
> hard disk over the network, I have found an incompatibility with
> GNU tar 1.13.25 (Debian Woody) and busybox CVS tar.
>
> I used GNU tar to archive a complete partition (-cvzf).
> In my /var/lib/apt/lists dir I have some very long filenames.

There seems to be a "maximum-path-length" limitation in bbox-tar. I had a
similar problem with bbox-0.60.2 and 0.60.3 but got a different error-message:
	tar: Names longer than 100 chars not supported.
0.61pre-20020813 does _not_ print any error-msg but also cut's the
path-/file-names; it exits with rc=0 and _only_ skips the long names, all
other files are extraced normally.

> This causes busybox to exit and of course I can't unarchive the partition.
>
> I have a 160k archive that contains the contents of my /var/lib/apt/lists
> and also one file at /tracks/cvs/busybox/INSTALL.
>
> GNU tar will extract the whole thing, but busybox will abort before it reaches
> the final file (INSTALL)
(...)
> I ended up static compiling GNU tar with uClibc..

As it is always a good idea to use the same archiver for packing and unpacking
I also compiled a static GNU tar-1.3.25.

Ciao,
	Thomas

--
Thomas Eckert <tom at subbi.uni-freiburg.de>
Hi! I´m a .signature virus. Please copy me to your ~/.signature to help me