[BusyBox] What's the purpose of BB_FEATURE_LINUXRC??? == Initrd

John van V. john_van_v at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 18 10:41:03 UTC 2002

Hi, The boot mechanism --grub in my case-- gets initrd off of the disk w/o
mounting it, just as it gets the kernel.

If you dont need it, dont use it.

My personal belief is that initrd or something like it, running busybox or
other uClibc binaries can eliminate the tradional linux boot.

It would require Initrd to use the virutal fs system to flex the memory based
filesystem size and allow swapping.

That I think would in turn, require changes to the kernel boot process.

John

--- Steven Scholz <steven.scholz at imc-berlin.de> wrote:

> "John van V." wrote:
> >
> > > So does that mean I don't need /linuxrc if I don't use a ramdisk (initrd)
> > > !?!?
> > Yup, but Initrd is the way to go !!  The product is pretty old though, and
> the
> > kernel might have to be updated to match improvments.
>
> Ehm... I'm not sure if I understand.
> My application and some other stuff (e.g. config files) are stored on my
> JFFS2
> partition. I must be able to update parts of it. So I need a real fs since I
> don't want to update the whole initrd everytime. And I have to keep the
> conifg
> files even if I update my application, my kernel or whatever. You see? My
> kernel
> and my FPGA file are stored on the JFFS2 as well.
>
> What do you mean by
> > The product is pretty old though, and the
> > kernel might have to be updated to match improvments.
> ???

> and
> > > :o)
> >
> > I have an iMac running OSX here, I have a redirect from
> http://www.thinman.com
> > to see the latest cable modem address.  The disk is pretty big.. want an
> > account ??
> ???
>
> Cheers,
>
> Steven