[BusyBox] Problem with mkdir of busybox-0.60.5

k.s.sathish at delphiauto.com k.s.sathish at delphiauto.com
Wed Nov 20 07:19:03 UTC 2002

Hello everyone,

I would like to know the root cause for "mkdir" giving a wrong information on
creating a directory under root.. Following is a capture of the problem :

===================
Starting pid 163, console /dev/console: '/sbin/getty'

Embedix 1.0 | Linux for Embedded Devices

(none) login: sathish
Password:

hush -- the humble shell v0.01 (testing)

~ $
~ $ ls -al
drwxr-xr-x    2 sathish  ect          1024 Jan  1 09:26 .
drwxr-xr-x    6 root     root         1024 Nov 11  2002 ..
-rw-------    1 sathish  ect           330 Jan  1 09:27 .bash_history
~ $ pwd
/home/sathish
~ $ mkdir /linux
mkdir: ~ $
~ $ ash

BusyBox v0.60.5 (2002.11.20-07:47+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

~ $
~ $ pwd
/home/sathish
~ $ mkdir /linux
mkdir: Segmentation fault
~ $

As noticed above i dont see a Segmentation fault when working with hush shell (
the humbel shell) , but when working with ash i see a Segmentation fault. I
would have expected permission deny message, as usual.

Please let me know , if i am  doing something wrong and  also let me know if
furthur information is needed to analyse the problem.

I would like to know if it is the problem with the busybox binary or the
cross-compiled libraries which i have built.

Thanks in advance

Sathish