[BusyBox] strange problem with BBinit and root=

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Thu May 9 18:01:03 UTC 2002

On Thu May 09, 2002 at 04:38:04PM -0700, Joshua J. England wrote:
> I just expect that BB_FEATURE_LINUXRC would call init as '/linuxrc' no
> matter what.  It does this normally, but with 'root=/dev/ram0' init gets
> called as 'init' even with BB_FEATURE_LINUXRC enabled.  I would expect
> it to behave consistently without any strange 'root=' caveats.

Ok.  I think you are fighting with the kernel's behavior here.
Busybox can't execute the init process as '/linuxrc' unless the
kernel has invoked it as /linuxrc', which doesn't happen when you
provide a 'root=foo' command line entry.  See the kernel docs in
linux/Documentation/initrd.txt

When one enables CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y in the Linux kernel, but
explicitly provides a 'root=foo' command line, then any supplied
initrd will be mounted as the root filesystem, but the kernel
will not execute /linuxrc, and will instead follow the normal
boot procedure (i.e.  the kernel will execute /sbin/init on the
device you specified as the root device.  If you specify
root=/dev/ram0, then the kernel will execute /sbin/init on the
initrd RAM disk.

 -Erik