[BusyBox] Redirect console to /dev/pts/0

Matthias Fuchs matthias.fuchs at esd-electronics.com
Tue May 7 00:41:03 UTC 2002

Hi Brett,

can't you use the remote logging capabilities of the syslogd ? It should be possible
to send all syslog messages (incl. kernel messages) to a remote syslogd.

An other idea could be to use a modified syslogd as login shell for a telnetd that is running on a
special port.

Hope that helps.

Matthias

Brett Hunt wrote:

> First time poster, yadda yadda.
>
> I want to redirect (or simultaneously direct) all output from the console (/dev/console = /dev/tty0) to a telnet session. I'm doing driver development and I need to see the kernel messages. But the busybox system is an embedded one and so recompiling the kernel multiple times and recreating a compressed root image is a pain (and everyone tries to avoid pain).
>
> I have a question. I've reviewed the archive. I've checked kernel documentation. And I tried Google groups.
>
>>What I've seen there, there is a kernel boot time option "console=" that should allow me to redirect the output to multiple consoles. The example was a serial port "ttyS0". Unfortunately, I don't have serial access to the machine.
>
> I've seen a couple of solutions where someone compiled a special program to redirect output to the telnet session they were running or some lp0 or something else. But I'm hoping there is a simpler, more direct solution.
>
> Part of my problem I'm guessing is that I'm using devfs and since init is running after devfs is mounted but before devfsd is running, I don't think it can find /dev/pts/0. I'm also not sure that the kernel will accept "console=pts/0" as a boot time option.
>
> I know that other people have had similar issues and must have resolved them somehow.
>
> So, this may be an incomplete description of the problem. So please ask me things that might help with formulating an answer.
>
> Is there an easy (read: command-line option) way to redirect kernel messages and such to the current telnet session?
> If not, what is the prefered, most direct, smallest automatible way of doing this?
>
> System: P90
> Kernel: 2.4.18 (patches: low-latency, preemptible kernel)
> Busybox: 0.61pre 2002-01-28
> Linux: Homegrown version with limited capability (restricted by size of boot device)
>    has stripped down glibc, busybox, tinylogin, telnetd, netkit-base
>
> Thanks,
> Brett

                             _/_/_/_/   Matthias Fuchs
                            _/_/_/_/   Dipl.-Ing.
                           _/_/_/_/   matthias.fuchs at esd-electronics.com

       _/_/_/   _/_/_/_/_/_/_/      esd electronic system design gmbh
     _/   _/  _/             _/    Vahrenwalder Str. 207
    _/   _/    _/_/_/   _/   _/   D-30165 Hannover
    _/             _/  _/   _/   Phone: +49-511-37298-0
     _/_/_/_/_/_/_/   _/_/_/    Fax:   +49-511-37298-68