[BusyBox] dpkg

Goetz Bock bock at blacknet.de
Sun Mar 3 15:41:03 UTC 2002

On Sun, Mar 03 '02 at 15:45, Kevin J Walchko wrote:
> how do you work with dpkg? i mean specifically, how do i build packages
> that this can use and how does dpkg keep track of packages?
I cant tell you, never figured out how to use the dpkg (or it's
frontends)

> i am familiar with rpm, so how are they different?
dpkg comes with debian, rpm with most other distributions. they do
basicaly the same, but rpm provides SRPM files, while deb only has one
(mega) patch for the sources. (I'm more of a package builder, so I can
tell you about this, at last.)

> i assume that dpkg is smaller and easier to use (that is why it is in
> busybox).
wrong. dpkg comes with busybox, cause busybox was designed for the
debian boot floppies.
(btw thanks for it, it realy rocks. busybox I mean)

Cu,
    Goetz.

BTW: If you want to "use" RPM's with busybox, there is rpm2cpio and cpio
     in busybox.
     Both the rpm and the deb database are way too big for your embedded
     system, if you want a tiny package manager have a look at ipkg from
     the handhelds.org familiar distribution (for compaq ipaq)