[BusyBox] urgent help at change_root inside of initrd

Stephan Linz linz at MAZeT.de
Fri Feb 15 03:52:04 UTC 2002

Hi Folks,

since the last two days I've tried to make a so named "change_root" mechanism
with support of kernels sysctrl (/proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev) inside of a
minimal initrd image. I use kernel 2.2.19 so I can't use the newer
"pivot_root" mechanism. In kernel documentation initrd.txt says I have to
write the major-minor code of the new root FS into the virtuell file
/proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev, but nothing is going on. Here my boot
strategy (all things at x86 plattform):

BIOS boots from first master IDE device (LILO). LILO loads kernel and initrd
image. Kernel mounts initrd image as first root FS in ramdisk(/dev/ram0); in
lilo.conf is standing: append="root=/dev/ram init=/linuxrc rw". Initrd image
covers a small busybox, /linuxrc is a shellscript and has to mount /dev/hda1,
extract the real root FS from a tarball to /dev/ram1, unmount /dev/hda1 and
mount /dev/ram1 as new root FS. So at the end of /linuxrc I write:

mount -t proc /proc /proc
echo 0x101 >/proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev
exec /sbin/init

... BUT NOTHING IS CHANGED !!! :-(

Is there any step I've forgot? The same procedure with an existing root FS at
/dev/hda3 has the same result. Please help me. I'm very desperate and under
time pressure.
Stephan

Note: I've attached my current /linuxrc (debugging version)

Stephan Linz
Software Engineer

MAZeT GmbH                   Email:   mailto:linz at mazet.de
Branche office Jena          Phone:   +49-3641-2809-55
Göschwitzer Straße 32        Fax  :   +49-3641-2809-12
D-07745 JENA
Germany

Visit our web-pages: http://www.MAZeT.de