[BusyBox] busybox date

David Douthitt ssrat at mailbag.com
Fri Nov 30 06:01:55 UTC 2001

On 11/30/01 at 12:10 AM, Jim Treadway <jim at stardot-tech.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Erik Andersen wrote:
>
> > On Thu Nov 29, 2001 at 11:22:14PM -0600, David Douthitt wrote:

> > > Yes, indeed.  Is that the trouble?
> >
> > Yup.  uClibc timezone support is pretty much all stubbed out
> > (hense the '???' timezone).. I've been intending to fix it but
> > it never has bothered me enough to make it to the top of the
> > TODO list,
> >
> >  -Erik
>
> Perhaps nothing should be output for the unknown timezone, to make
it
> behave like GNU date?  From the man page for date:
>
>        %Z     time zone (e.g., EDT), or nothing if no  time  zone
>               is determinable
>
> I'm assuming of course that this applies for the "no argument" (or
'%c')
> version(s) of GNU date as well.
>
> Probably not very important, but the "???" is a bit funny looking.

In my testing, I found GNU date doing something else (a bug?):

# unset TZ TZDIR ; rm -f /etc/localtime /usr/share/zoneinfo/localtime
; /tmp/date
Sun Nov 29 13:12:40 /etc/localtime 1981
# uname -a ; /tmp/date --version
Linux myrouter 2.2.19 #1 Tue Aug 7 16:55:52 CDT 2001 i486 unknown
date (GNU sh-utils) 2.0
Written by David MacKenzie.

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There
is NO warranty: not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

--
David Douthitt
UNIX Systems Administrator