[BusyBox] Re: Suitable Web Server, anyone?

bhoc at pentagroup.ch bhoc at pentagroup.ch
Fri May 18 19:20:39 UTC 2001

Thanks for the friendly recommendations. Yes I am aware of boa, thttpd and
the others.
I do not want to build a high-performance-one-diskette-web server (there's
not that much space left for contents...). I just want my router/firewall
to be a bit
more communicative, you know, the nosey admins...

Now I plugged my ash script together (some 1600 bytes). It supports GET,
basic CGI (that famous x-bit-hack) and basic authentication.
That was really easy: An authenticating client puts some 'Authorization:
Basic 34lasfj400saf4rlasdf=' into the request header and all I need
to do is to grep that 34lasfj400saf4rlasdf= string against my .htpasswd -
voilà!

One suggestion: the uuencode and uudecode functions already deal with
base64, unfortunately only on the uu...file level. Could some kind soul
add a simple base64 de/encoder that filters from stdin to stdout? (without
the uuencode headings, just the bare string). Would be neat.
(Now I need a 'base64' from somewhere on the net to create the .htpasswd
file...)

If someone is interested in the shell script please drop me a line or two.
It won't be before mid next week until the code is cleaned up, tho'.

Benedikt Hochstrasser
tictactux at surfeu in ch