[BusyBox] Help with DNS lookups

Chris Carbaugh cjtech2000 at yahoo.com
Tue May 15 15:56:12 UTC 2001

Hi all,

I'm new to BusyBox but pretty familiar with Linux (mostly RedHat).

This is my first shot at an embedded system, and I am having trouble
getting my setup to resolve DNS queries.

I started with the disk image at busybox.net.  I then got the
latest release 0.51, compiled that against the libc on my RedHat 6.2
workstation (glibc 2.1.3), and copied that to my development disk.  I
also copied ld-2.1.3.so, libc-2.1.3.so, and the apropriate symlinks.

With this, I was able to get eth0 (AMD pcnet32) up and running.  I can
ping anything on my LAN.

I then created the following files in /etc/

host.conf
-------------------
order hosts, bind
multi on

hosts
-------------------
192.168.1.25	chris

resolv.conf
-------------------
nameserver 192.168.1.3

nsswitch.conf
-------------------
passwd:		files
shadow:		files
group:		files

hosts:		files dns

ethers:		files
netmasks:	files
networks:	files
protocols:	files
rpc:		files
services:	files

automount:	files
aliases:	files

With this, my development box can resolve 'chris', which is defined in
the /etc/hosts file, but doesn't attempt to query the nameserver for
other hosts.

As a last resort, I copied all the libnss* libraries from my RedHat
box, ran ldconfig, and still nothing.

Thanks, sorry for the long post
Chris