[BusyBox] Re: [BusyBox-cvs] cvs commit to busybox by kraai

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Mon May 14 13:28:51 UTC 2001

On Mon May 14, 2001 at 06:48:30PM +0000, Tom Oehser wrote:

> The proximate reason for this is that /lib/modules on tomsrtbt is a
> symlink to /usr/lib/modules, for reasons of how the various filesystems
> are stored and loaded.  For good common sense, though, it should not
> matter if /lib is a symlink to /FOO and /lib/modules is a symlink to
> /FOO/BAR- everything should still work.  And, for what it is worth, it
> DOES work, with the real insmod.  QED.  -Tom

I agree with you.  It should be irrelevant if /lib/modules is a symlink.  The
problem occurs when, for example /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build is a symlink to
something huge like a kernel source tree, which is what 2.4.x kernels put there
during 'make modules_install'.  Testing with insmod from modutils 2.4.6 shows
that modutils' insmod does _not_ follow symlinks -- at least not in the
/lib/modules/`uname -r` directory.

Do you also have tomsrtbt setup such that insmod must also follow symlinks
that live underneith /lib/modules?  If the requirement is simply that
/lib/modules be allowed to be a symlink I think we can come to a quick resolution.

 -Erik

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com