[BusyBox] tinylogin

Adam Slattery aslattery at sunriselinux.com
Sun Aug 19 15:15:00 UTC 2001

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001, Goetz Bock wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 19 '01 at 02:43, Per Wigren wrote:
> > Why isn't tinylogin integrated into busybox? Wouldn't it save a whole bunch
> > of bytes to have it integrated instead of separate?
> This comes up every once in a while and AFAIK the answer is:
>
> While it would save quite some bytes, it is not the aim of busybox to be
> used for a regular system, but rather for a setup disk. For a setup disk
> tinylogins functionality is not needed.

Perhaps it should be merged just so people stop asking about it :). But
really, from what I gather the main reason was that Erik didn't want to
link to libcrypt and uClibc didn't have crypt(3) until just recently (i'm
not 100% positive about this though).

With the new development tree, perhaps someone would like to undertake
such a merge. I personally don't think it needs to be done, but I don't
have any need for tinylogin so I'm rather apathetic.

- Adam Slattery