[BusyBox] BusyBox 0.51 released

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Tue Apr 10 20:55:16 UTC 2001

I am very pleased to announce BusyBox 0.51 (a.k.a "the rock-solid release").
Tarballs are already sitting on the ftp site waiting for you.  Here is the
announcement I just placed on the busybox web site:

   BusyBox 0.51 (the "rock-solid release") is now out there. This release adds
   only 2 new applets: env and vi. The vi applet, contributed by Sterling
   Huxley, is very functional, and is only 22k. This release fixes 3 critical
   bugs in the 0.50 release. There were 2 potential segfaults in lash (the
   busybox shell) in the 0.50 release which are now fixed.  Another critical
   bug in 0.50 which is now fixed: syslogd from 0.50 could potentially deadlock
   the init process and thereby break your entire system.

   There are a number of improvements in this release as well. For one thing,
   the wget applet is greatly improved. Dmitry Zakharov added FTP support, and
   Laurence Anderson make wget fully RFC compliant for HTTP 1.1. The mechanism
   for including utility functions in previous releases was clumsy and error
   prone. Now all utility functions are part of a new libbb library, which
   makes maintaining utility functions much simpler.  And BusyBox now compiles
   on itanium systems (thanks to the Debian itanium porters for letting me use
   their system!).

   You can read the changelog for complete details. BusyBox 0.51 can
   be downloaded from ftp://busybox.net/busybox.

Have Fun!

p.s. In just a few minutes I will be leaving to the Embedded Systems Conference
in San Francisco, where I will be presenting "Rolling your own Embedded Linux"
on the 12th.  If any of you are out at the conference, please stop by the Lineo
booth and say "hi" -- or if I am out wandering, leave a message at the booth
for me so I can find you.  And of course, please visit my presentation on the
12th -- it should be pretty good.  When the conference is over, I plan on
re-working my presentation a bit and turning it into a HOWTO.

 -Erik

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com