[BusyBox] BB_FEATURE_SH_STANDALONE_SHELL

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Wed Oct 25 15:36:44 UTC 2000

On Wed Oct 25, 2000 at 01:58:39PM +0200, Thomas Höhenleitner wrote:

> //Allow the shell to invoke all the compiled in BusyBox commands as if they
> //were shell builtins.  Nice for staticly linking an emergency rescue shell
> //among other thing.
> #define BB_FEATURE_SH_STANDALONE_SHELL
>
> Does that mean I have not to create als the links to busybox or in other words
> the sh tries to find a command along $PATH only if it is not a compiled-in
> command?

Yup.   For example, imaging an initrd that loads up, insmods some closed source
kernel modules needed to mount the real root filesystem (i.e. the m-systems
disk on chip driver).  For this you can just compile up busybox as a standalone
shell with insmod, and have your /linuxrc be a shell script that just runs:

    #!/bin/busybox sh
    insmod foo
    insmod bar

No busybox symlinks needed, just a few /dev entries and a statically linked
busybox.

 -Erik

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com