[BusyBox] is "ln -n" usefull ?

Glenn McGrath bug1 at optushome.com.au
Mon Oct 2 14:12:07 UTC 2000

Im just looking at the ln code, trying to extract some common
functionality (linking) so that can be used by other modules, such as
tar. While im at it im converting it to use getopt and use return
instead exit.

Im just a bit stuck on understanding what the -n "no-dereferencing"
does, from my interpretation of GNU ln  -n is supposed to be used when
you want to creat a symlink that points to a symlink to a directory. eg.

<dir> bar
foo->bar

"ln -n -s foo fu" should create "fu->bar"
"ln -s foo fu" should create "fu->foo"

GNU ln seems to always do "fu->foo" irespective of the -n option, so
either i dont understnad whats going on, or it doesnt behave
properly.... im pretty sure its the former.

I mustnt be looking at it right, I need a clue.

Glenn