[BusyBox] bug#1072: I think we can close this bug

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Tue Nov 14 23:29:37 UTC 2000

On Tue Nov 14, 2000 at 03:52:01PM -0700, Mark Whitley wrote:
> Larry, Erik, All Other Busyboxers,
>
> Re: The infamous "4-clause" BSD license bug. This appears to be a non-issue.
> Check out this URL:
>
> ftp://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/4bsd/README.Impt.License.Change
>
> Note the following from the above page:
>
> 	"Effective immediately, licensees and distributors are no longer required
> 	to include the acknowledgement within advertising materials.  Accordingly,
> 	the foregoing paragraph of those BSD Unix files containing it is hereby
> 	deleted in its entirety."
>
> What this means is: Any BSD license that says
>
> 	Copyright (c) <DATE(S)>
> 	The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
>
> at the top has been retroactively declared "advertising clause free" (that's
> clause #3) by said Regents. Since they are the copyright holders, they can do
> this. If this seems arbitrary, remember that we're talking about copyright
> law, which is a pretty arbitrary thing in the first place.
>
> As an example of this retroactive change in action, check out the following
> http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=3&q=http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/1999-11n/msg00686.html&e=598
>
> This mailing list archive shows a patch submitted to GCC to remove the
> advertising clause from the license header in all BSD-derived code in GCC.
>
> Bottom line: Non-bug. Can be closed immediately.

Thanks for doing the leg work on this.  I will go through and remove the
advertising clause from all BSD derived code in busybox, and replace it
with a link to the change.  i.e.

-* 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
-*    must display the following acknowledgement:
-*       This product includes software developed by the University of
-*       California, Berkeley and its contributors.
+*
+* 3. <BSD Advertising Clause omitted per the July 22, 1999 licensing change
+*      ftp://ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/4bsd/README.Impt.License.Change>
+*

Ok.  Done.

 -Erik

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com