[BusyBox] mount (et al) and crypto

David Douthitt ssrat at mailbag.com
Thu Dec 7 15:56:37 UTC 2000

On 6 Dec 2000, at 15:54, Erik Andersen wrote:

> On Wed Dec 06, 2000 at 03:19:40PM -0600, David Douthitt wrote:
> > I was reading the Linux Encryption Howto, and it talks about using
> > encryption with a Linux kernel that has the International Linux
> > Crypto patch applied.
> >
> > This how to says that some of the utilities in util-linux need to be
> > recompiled (like losetup and mount).
> >
> > Will busybox mount support encrypted loopback devices, now or in the
> > future?
>
> To be honest, I have no idea.  What sort of patch did it say
> was required?

Reading the Crypto FAQ out of the International Kernel Patch, I see
this:

6) I get "Unsupported encryption type" when I use losetup or mount.
What's wrong?

You need a version of losetup and mount that understand new
encryption types. To get it, you probably have to apply the util-
linux patch you can find in linux/Documentation/crypto and rebuild
mount and losetup.

I was reading the actual patch, so it was tough going - but it looks
like only losetup and mount are affected.  There appear to be two
patches - one for crypto, and one that allows the programs to ask for
the encryption key.

The patch is available at http://www.kerneli.org/ - I'll try it
against 2.2.17 sometime soon.

--