Confused use of tostdoutFlag in tar.c

David Vrabel dvrabel at arcom.co.uk
Fri Aug 25 09:51:05 UTC 2000

Package: busybox
Version: 0.46
Severity: wishlist

The use of the tostdoutFlag in tar.c seems confused and inconsistant.
Particularly when combined with the odd fiddling with tarName.

I propose that the following use be adopted.

*Only* use tostdoutFlag to indicate that the `O' flag was present
Leave tarName to whatever is read from the f option.
When creating a tar file output it to stdout if tarName = "-".
When extracting a tar file read it in from stdin if tarName = "-".
By default tarName should probably be /dev/rmt0 (as in GNU tar).

I'm suggesting these changes since 0.46 tar is broken and I can't work
out if the CVS version fixes the problems.

David Vrabel