[Buildroot] nice() seems to have stopped working?

David Lambert dave at lambsys.com
Wed Oct 18 18:09:30 UTC 2006

Since moving to this distribution, I notice that some of my programs
that use nice() give errors when attempting to raise their priorities.
In order to try and nail this down I wrote the following trivial program:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <unistd.h>

int	main(int ac, char *av[])
{
   int n = atoi(av[1]);
   printf("Trying nice(%d)\n", n);
   if (nice(n) < 0) {		/* Attempt to change priority */
     perror("Nice failed to change priority");
   }
   else {
     printf("Success\n");
   }
   return 0;
}

Running this program as root provides the following output:

/ # whoami
root
/ # niceTest 0
Trying nice(0)
Success
/ # niceTest 1
Trying nice(1)
Success
/ # niceTest -1
Trying nice(-1)
Nice failed to change priority: Success
/ #

Has anyone else experience this behavior?

Best regards,

Dave.